Wednesday, January 19, 2011

To Kill a Mockingbird Assignment

To Kill a Mockingbird
(Language Arts Assignment)
“Scout’s Journal”
Entry #1
Dear Diary,
Calpurnia bought you for me so that I could “expand my vocabulary to a size appropriate for my upbringing.” Now I don’t have the darnedest clue what she meant, but whatever Calpurnia says is law, or that’s what’s been scolded into me after so many years. I wish she treated me better, the way she treats Jem and Atticus and all them houseguests, and even Dill, my new friend. Today he just climbed o’er the fence like it was public property, slung over the wire smug as a bug. He introduced himself and starting strutting around, all high n’ mighty, boasting ‘bout his Mississipi moving pictures and his readin’ skills. He even suggested we go over to mean ol’ Mr. Radley’s house, the Radley Place. Everybody knows Boo haunts the basement, moaning and groaning, all swathed with chains and the like. I think Dill’s crazy, but Jem gave him the A-OK, so I guess he’s okay with me as well.

Entry #38
Dear Diary,
       “Starting off on the wrong foot” doesn’t feel too good. I thought school would be fun and colouring, like Jem said it would be. Miss Caroline proved him wrong. She said I should stop reading, and that Atticus was teaching me wrong. I tried to help her out with Walter Cunningham but she repaid me with humiliation, pats with a ruler, and a tour of the classroom corner. The class got unruly after that, and Miss Caroline looked miserable afterwards. Serves her right; I would’ve felt sorry if she weren’t so unfair. After school Jem and I invited Walter Cunningham over for dinner. He had odd eating habits, and when I tried to correct him Calpurnia gave me a long lecture and a good dressing-down about “table manners” and what-not. We need a new maid.

Entry #74
Dear Diary,
       Jem and I found buried treasure! Today I was walking home from school like all ordinary-like, when I found two pieces of gum concealed in one of the trees by the Radley Place! I showed Jem, and he and I went back to them trees. Again, somebody had left new gifts inside the tree! There were two pennies that Jem said were really old, snuggled up nice and tight in a wedding ring box. Jem put them in his secret trunk. I can’t believe we’re this lucky! Could there be pirates in Maycomb?

Entry #93
Dear Diary,
       I’m never listening to them again. Dill and Jem dragged me along to the Radley Place, hoping to catch a glimpse of Boo himself. After all these months Dill is as obsessed as ever, maybe even more so with his newfound confidence. We slinked into Mr. Radley’s property at night, Jem leading the way like always. As we crept past the gate and crawled onto the porch, an obscure shadow loomed over. We all froze and for a few seconds, time seemed to stop. The little self-control we had left was shattered by the sudden roar of a shotgun, followed by various bouts of cursing. We scattered like woodland animals, our sense of preservation dominating our loyalty to each other. At the edge of the lot we bumped into the grown-up neighbours, along with Atticus and Calpurnia. I would later learn that Jem had lost his pants in the process. The adults questioned us about Jem’s lack of lower clothing, and I thought for sure he was done for, until Dill stood in and fibbed for him. Jem and I are keeping mum about what happened today. If his pants are found by Mr. Radley, chaos will certainly ensue, and spankings will be had by all. I hope he has a good plan.

Entry #120
Dear Diary,
       Today we were gifted with a visit from wonderful, white, blankets of “snow”, or that’s what Atticus and Jem called it. When I woke up the whole town was glazed with puffy silvery clouds. Even Atticus was surprised to see snow this far south. It’s very cold and wet, sort of like solid rain, and melts in your mouth. Jem and I are planning on building a man made of snow, but although there isn’t much snow Jem says he has a plan. We might even shape it like Mr. Avery!

Entry #131
Dear Diary,
       I sometimes hate the family I’m stuck with. Christmas was almost ruined by Cousin Francis. He makes me so angry, him and his elitist mannerisms. He makes fun of everything I like, Dill included, and even called Atticus a nigger-lover! I don’t know what “nigger-lover” means, but by the way Francis said it I’m sure Atticus wouldn’t be one. I lost control and jumped him. Aunt Alexandra and Uncle Jack intervened, and I was disciplined by Uncle Jack. I had no other choice but to tell him the whole story. After hearing my side, Uncle’s Jack’s face coloured red and his eyes narrowed. I knew Atticus would disapprove of me fighting to defend his name, so I begged Uncle Jack to keep the whole incident a secret. To my surprise, he agreed. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe I only hate part of this family.

Entry #167
Dear Diary,
       Today Mrs. Dubose passed away. I can’t say that anyone in the town really missed her, except maybe Atticus. He likes everybody. Jem, after hearing the news, threw a bit of a tantrum, especially after he received a wax flower from her. Who throws fits after gifts? Jem, that’s who. Atticus explained that Mrs. Dubose was courageous in her own way, and died free from morphine. Although I only understood a bit of it, I realized what he was getting at. I guess people show courage in their own, unique way. Jem is all quiet-like, refusing to talk, just caressing his little flower. Brothers are very odd.

Entry #324
Dear Diary,
       Today there was a big crowd of people near the jail. Atticus was there, and even Mr. Cunningham. Jem and I snuck out of the house to see Atticus, ‘cause Jem was worried about Atticus’s safety. Who would ever want to hurt nice, old, Atticus? I guess Jem’s fears were well placed, as we have been getting some flak ever since Atticus took that Tom Robinson case. It’s subtle, but I can feel people lookin’ at me all funny-like while walking through the streets, and some kids at school are calling Atticus the same thing Francis called him: nigger-lover. Outside the jail a group of men were standing all around Atticus. I hadn’t seen Walter or Mr. Cunningham in a while, so I ran up and struck up a polite conversation, the way Calpurnia and Aunt Alexandra taught me to. After a whole lotta’ silence Mr. Cunningham said he tell Walter I said “Hi” and then left with the rest of the men.  Gee, did I do something wrong?

Entry #330
Dear Diary,
       Something terrible happened! Atticus interrupted the little gathering of “ladies” at our house with news that Tom Robinson had died. Tom had apparently attempted a jail break, only to be viciously shot 17 times. 17 shots could bring down an elephant, let alone a semi-crippled man! Aunt Alexandra even burst into tears, crying something along the lines of how the case was “tearing Atticus to pieces” and that “the town was perfectly willing to let him wreck his health doing what they’re afraid to do.” However, being fine ladies, we kept our composure and returned to the party. It wouldn’t do for the likes of Mrs. Merriweather to spread gossip about matters this important.

Entry #342
Dear Diary,
       Boo Radley saved our lives. While on the way home from the Halloween play Jem and I began hearing noises. With the thought of haints still fresh on my mind, I began walking faster. Suddenly, Jem cried out for me to run, and then his cries ceased. I could hear deep, heavy breathing and I could smell alcohol, but I could not see what was happening. I sprinted wildly, hoping to find a way to help Jem. I slammed into a vast frame meat, which proceeded to smother me. I could not breathe. Just as abruptly as it had begun, the pressure stopped, and I felt the body fall. Scared stiff I ran to our street. Silhouetted by the lights emanated from the house were two bodies, one of Atticus, and one thin and tall, looking anxiously at a body. I rushed over, not knowing if Jem was dead or alive. Atticus reassured me that Jem had survived, and would recover. Mr. Tate came over, and grimly revealed that the body of Bob Ewell, dead as a doorknob, was resting just on our lawn. It hit me all at once. Boo Radley, who was leaning against the wall, quiet, invisible, haint-like Boo Radley, had saved us. He had killed Bob Ewell! The grown-ups had a long and serious exchange. They somehow came to the conclusion that Bob Ewell had managed to kill himself. Atticus pulled me aside and asked me if I understood. I hated seeing Atticus, and was about to agree with him for the sake of relieving his worries when it hit me. I finally understood. This was like killing a mockingbird.

No comments:

Post a Comment